This year's titles for the Battle of the Books competition have been announced! The parent in charge went with tried-and-true classics, which the kids are devouring in preparation for the February finale quiz event.
- Elephant Run, Roland Smith (he offers a board game and quizzes about this World War II novel on his website)
- Number the Stars (also set in WWII), Lois Lowry
- City of Ember, Jeanne DuPrau (can you decode the document?)
- Elijah of Buxton (freed slaves in Canada), Christopher Paul Curtis (videos and discussion guides)
- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (one of my favorites as a kid!), E.L. Konigsburg (quiz for kids)
- The Empty Mirror (an orphan in 1930s New England), James Lincoln Collier
- Maniac McGee (searching for home in a segregated town), Jerry Spinelli
- Word Eater, Mary Amato (author website)
- For the next two months, teams will be writing and answering practice questions, memorizing the spelling of each author's name (for bonus points), and discussing the plots, characters, and settings of these books in fine detail. This makes me smile.